Sunday, October 23, 2016

More challenge progress

Just moving along with my challenge project. With the outside and base decals finished the next step is to get the trailer attached to the base and do some additional detailing and weathering. I should be able to wrap this up here soon.

Friday, October 7, 2016

A challenge to get creative

One thing I enjoy is participating in challenges from different online forums. Recently the Railroad Line Forum has a challenge centered around the passing of one of their active members. The project can be of anything and once it is ready for decals they will send you come from the home road of member who passed. I really was looking for something that would be a quick project, but that would be a good exercise in being creative. I recently picked up some old Athearn trailers to possibly use for my piggyback special but it appears I have a few spares. I decided to build maintenance shed that would fall into the theme of a lumber and mining company. For pictures of progress on this project check out my Projects in Progress page.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Lucas gets a Module and Page

My 8 year old son Lucas has been wanting to do some model railroading and I have decided to give him my 90 degree Free-mo module set. He has decided he wants a grade crossing, small town and a farm on the modules. For the town he saw the Walthers Doughnut shop and really wanted it, so he bought it. I was able to help him use the airbrush and get the structure painted with the colors he picked. We then did the basic assembly and will now finish the painting, add some interior details and lighting.

For more updates on Lucas's modules check out Lucas's Page.

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Summer is over, time to model!!

With travel and work I really did not do anything in August worth posting, hence the complete lack of posts. With that said I spent the first few days of September working on a few trailers for my 1968 Piggyback Special. I will be back to posting these updates to the Projects in Progress section of my blog. Here is a preview of the beginning of my Piggyback Special. 

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Fun at Potlatch

I spent Saturday in Potlatch with Frank running some trains on a small Free-mo setup. We had a good time and may have gained a few new members, possibly. My modules worked well and I am excited to get them finished up for the show in Spokane in October. We also plan on adding this event to our annual calendar, which is a great small venue for us to display and run.

Here is a photo of me working hard (photo by Frank, W.)

Saturday, July 2, 2016

Nothing like a deadline to get you moving!!

I have been slowly working on reworking my 45 degree module and what has turned into a Signal-mo. I was going to have them complete for the Spokane train show in October, but we are now going to be setting up on July 9th in Potlatch Idaho. So I am now rushing to get the modules operational and the basic scenery also completed. These will not be completely done, but they will be usable and presentable for what we are doing.

Saturday, June 4, 2016

Revere Street Bar and Grill

When looking over the aerial photo from 1967 I noticed a building on the corner of Revere and Division that looked like it would fit on the module. Next was to check the area out on Google Earth and I was pleasantly surprised by the building I found. It was a single story building with a false front making it look like a two story old west structure I decided I really needed to model it. After doing a little more internet sleuthing I found that the shop was setup for both retail and restaurant space. With that information in mind I have decided to make it a Bar and Grill. I plan on building a detailed interior of at least the Bar and Restaurant area, since the rest will be hidden I will probably not do anything for the kitchen or bathrooms.

Here is a Google screenshot of the building.

I will post progress and additional pictures in my Projects in Progress section.