Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Base Coat

After giving the top of the module a coating of Sculptamold I decided to do some basic track weathering. I used artist oils and Gouache to paint and weather the rail. Once everything had dried I painted the top of the module with some brown paint from the 'oops' section at Home Depot. With the paint still wet I spread dirt over the top of the module and also some Highball N scale ballast for the parking lot area. I then worked more dirt and ballast spraying the dry spot with water and covering it with a 50:50 mix of water and Matte Medium. I have some more photos in the Projects in Progress page that show some more details of the work.

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Gearing up for scenery

I have gone back over and completed some troubleshooting on the trackwork and everything is working to the standard I expect.  I decided to start working on the scenery on the 4' section, but before I got to far along I wanted to finish the track work. I spent a couple hours placing ties in the gaps left over from laying the track and filling in the tie ends on ties that were cut for feeders. Once that was all completed I spray painted the track and ties Camouflage Brown. With the paint dry my next step will be to figure out the final location of the structures and then cover the rest of the ground in Sculptamold. Once the Sculptamold is dry I can start adding dirt and begin building up my layers of scenery. As with all prototype projects I find it best to work from pictures. I spent sometime printing out photos of the area so I have a feel for what I am trying to achieve.